Sunday, January 11, 2009

Theo's Thoughts #2: I might grow to hate technology someday...

Tonight, I flipped through some pictures a distant aunt of mine had scanned and uploaded on to her picasa. I suppose flipped wouldn't be the right word her, since there were no photo album pages. Clicked through?

Whichever. They were interestingly shuffled, and I enjoyed discovering two pictures next to each other where her and her husband sat in similar positions between both photos.

One picture was from last July.
You can see their fresh-from-the-obnoxiously-long-cruise tan in stunning color, taken by their outstandingly-expensive camera that they have no right owning since they can't use the word "focus" grammatically correct in a sentence. They both have similar short haircuts, but God Forbid you point that out, as males and females NEVER have the same hair cuts. (Tell that to my hick cousin's greasy mullet. She should hear this.)
My aunt's hair is growing in a little grey (she soon saw a hair salon which fixed all that) and my uncle's was also quite white. Their faces aged well, as much as they complain about it. They've got laughter wrinkles, not worry wrinkles or frown wrinkles, or looks-of-general-dislike wrinkles. Just the ones that stream down from your nose and around your mouth like tears of joy, and those crow's feet that ruffle at the edges of your eyes.
Both formed from smiling and squinting, respectively, as you often do when you laugh.
Or, when you have a sneeze stuck in your nose.
Regardless, you get it.

The other picture was much older, I want to say fifties? Sixties? They were teens. Perhaps young adults. No grey hair, no wrinkles, no stupid rub-it-in-your-face tan. They're young, and in love, and still have the same hair cuts, only its long, flat, and symmetrically parted. They look innocent and wide-eyed. Clear skinned and smooth-featured. At least, I think their skin is clear. Of course, this picture is black, white, and blurry.

Its not the camera man's fault, its the camera. It has that age old distortion to it. The 1960 equivalent of that fuzzy look 80's VHS has compared to 00's DVDs, so its a similar blur but twice as worse. And as I look at it, I can almost hear my Aunt saying,

"
Of course.
A good picture of me
taken with a crappy camera.
A beautiful point in my life
that came before all this
digital mega pixel its-on-your-phone
whatchamacallinits.
Great! Ha!
"

I think its kind of funny.
I mean, it is my baby picture, my toddler years, my childhood and young adulthood that I will be looking back on for the rest of my life, as it progresses. And as I look back at my older young adulthood, adulthood, and old age, I will revisit the most recent memories all the way to the earliest over and over again.

Irony:
As I do so, I will also be looking at pictures from the newest technology to the oldest form of photography that I have ever lived to see. And when I'm old and pictures are capture in multiple dimensions with perfect color and balance every time, I'll look back at these pictures from college of my friends and I at a height in our lives and say:

"
Damn.
High definition sucks.
Another good picture taken by a crappy camera.
What else is new?
"
Just some thoughts.
Appreciate what you've got before its gone!
And to quote those tacky Dove commercials,
love the skin your in!
It is hard to do sometimes, I know,
but its not exactly something we can afford to be bad at!
(No joke, plastic surgery is very expensive!)
:')
Peace and happiness,
Theo.

No comments:

Post a Comment