Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Entry.

[This one's diving in the deep end. I feel it necessary to add - it's not written from the first person, so no worries. It's the point of view of a very close friend of mine, written after I first witnessed/learned of her daily night terrors first hand. Tough topic to cover through poetry, this is my shot at it. My only advice to anyone going through any kind of parental/spousal abuse: Talk! - Theo]


Entry.

My eyes have seen
enough as it is.
These tears, My heart
is water damaged.

Breaking an entry
inside your skeleton
Going through your things
without a warrant

Without permission, Without consent,
Without any mutual verbal agreement.
Without a care - how will these wounds scar?
I honestly haven’t planned that far

And now you know how it feels.

Didn’t you know,
You reap what you sow?

Karma caught you like you caught my arm
A tight hold, a strong grab that implies harm
The kinds that ruptures veins under the skin
So the next day you struggle to hide the bruises

Do you like
being on the other side?
Do you like
Having trouble sleeping at night?

Be honest,
I didn’t.
But I’ll admit,
I might sleep better covered in scars
Knowing you’re behind bars
Trying to sleep on a cold hard bed
Next to an inmate who fancies men

No diary entry has been enough
to soak up the tears and heal the wounds
I could use all 100 pages/200 sheets
But I would only need more paper by noon

No one thought, no one could predict
how you'd enter my mind and my thoughts, too
It wasn't as simple as picking up and leaving
and it wasn't as easy as just tattle-taleing.

I guess we'll never understand each other's sides
At least I have the upperhand for doing what was right

Irony is tragic and hard to understand
But behave and benefit from its plan.


Entry by Theo Martin
copyrighted 2009

1 comment: